Vellore is a city as well as the administrative headquarters of the Vellore District of Tamil Nadu. It is a part of Tondaimandalam or Tondai Nadu. Located beside River Palar, Vellore has been ruled by various rulers such as the Pallavas, the Cholas, the Vijayanagar Empire, the Rashtrakutas, the Carnatic kingdom and the British. Legend says that the region housed many Velan (or Babul) trees, which gave the name "Vellore" to the city. The city of Vellore is the stronghold of the Arcot Mudaliars population. The other largest communities in the city are the Balija Naidus and the Muslims. The city has four zones that are further sub-divided into 60 wards for civic administration. Vellore is being developed into a smart city as per PM Narendra Modis Smart Cities Mission. Vellore is the home to two of Indias top educational institutions - Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT) and Christian Medical College & Hospital. The city is a major center for medical tourism in the country as people from all over the country travel to Vellore to seek various treatments. Moreover, Vellore is the top exporter of leather products in the country. The countrys biggest explosives manufacturing company is located in Vellore. It is called the Tamil Nadu Explosives Limited (TEL). The Vellore Fort, Srilakshmi Golden Temple and Sri Jalakandeswarar Temple are few of the places worth visiting in Vellore.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.