Uluberia is located within the territorial boundaries of the Howrah district in the state of West Bengal. It functions as the headquarter of the Uluberia subdivision. A part of Uluberia is covered by Kolkata Metropolitan Development Authority. Uluberia is an industrial city situated on the bank of River Hooghly. The Rupnaayan and the Damodar rivers flow near this city, thus giving it a rich alluvial soil that supports the cultivation of paddy and various other vegetables. There are around 2 lakh residents in Uluberia who communicate in the Bengali language. In 2006, the Salim Group had invested $250 million in a motorcycle factory. There are many industrial units in Uluberia that manufacture electrical goods. The city is well connected to all the neighboring areas via road and railway. The city has been divided into several community development blocks in order to ensure able administration and organized development.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.