Udupi city is the administrative headquarter of the Udupi District of Karnataka. Udupi is a prime tourist attraction in Karnataka. It is known for the famous Krishna Temple and the delectable Udupi cuisine which is famous all over South India. Udipi is often referred to as Lord Parashurama Kshetra and it is famous for Kanakana Kindi. It is an important center of pilgrimage and is known as Rajata Peetha and Shivalli. It is also known as the temple city. Udupi has more than 1.5 lakh residents who mostly speak in the Tulu language. The other languages spoken in the area are Konkani, Kannada, Hindi and English. Muslims living in Udupi speak in Urdu, Nawayathi and Beary. Udupi is slowly developing into a major town in Karnataka. Udupis economy is largely dependent on agriculture and fishing. The city has quite a few small-scale industries such as cashew industry and milk cooperatives. Udupi is of-late making its mark in the real estate industry as well. Udupi also has a local handloom sari industry, made of pure cotton. These lightweight sarees have art silk design and small motifs of art silk dotting. Manipal is a suburb of Udupi and hosts a number of famous educational institutions.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.