Tiruvottiyur is located in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It is a neighborhood in North Chennai, located within the Greater Chennai Corporation. It is often spelled as Thiruvottriyur or just TVT. The city belongs to the Tondiarpet division of the state. The city is located near Parrys and Chennai Central, yet it provides comparatively cheaper residential space along with decent amenities. Hence, it has become a much-coveted and sought after residential destination.The city comprises of industrial units, trading activity and fishing hamlets. Tiruvottiyur is easily accessible road and railway. There are around 2.5 lakh residents in Tiruvottiyur. It is believed that Thiruvottiyur was inhabited even before the city of Chennai was formed. There are many ancient as well as new temples in and around the city. Tiruvottiyur is a heavily populated suburb of Chennai. It has a few industrial establishments that employ a majority of the citys population. Business is another source of income for the residents. The fishing industry is also enormous in the city. The city is well-equipped with all the modern facilities and amenities. However, entertainment options are rather scarce in this city as a lot of movie theaters have been converted into real estate properties. The city is well-known for its food and a lot of hotels, restaurants and small food joints are distributed across the place. Thiruvottiyur is considered to be an economical housing zone. It is gradually developing on par with the other localities in Chennai.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.