singrauli, in the Indian state of Madhya Pradesh, is popularly known as the Energy capital of India. The area used to be covered in dense forests earlier that was not navigable and inhabited by wild animals. It was earlier known as Shringavali. It was named after a sage known as Shringi. The kings of the Rewa State ruled the area till 1947. They used the area as an open-air prison to detain errant civilians and officers. Singrauli has five tehsils now - Singrauli, Chitrangi, Deosar, Mada and Sarai. Singrauli has a group of rock-cut caves called Mada Caves made in the 7th and 8th century. All major companies operating in this area belongs to the Indian energy industry, which entirely drives the economy of the city. The companies focus on mining of coal and subsequent power generation. NTPC, Coal India Limited, Essar, Hindalco, Reliance and several other established companies have set up their plants at Singrauli. The industrial belt has also resulted in a critical condition of air pollution which is a serious concern.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.