Orai is located in the Jalaun district of Uttar Pradesh. This city functions as the district headquarters of the Jalaun district in the Jhansi division of the state. The NH-27 passes through Orai, which is midway between Jhansi and Kanpur. Orai is believed to have been named after a saint - Rishi Uddalak who is worshipped in the area. Orai was ruled by the Rajputs, the Chandels, the Mughals, the Marathas and many other regional rulers. Orai became a scene of much violence during the Great Revolt of 1857. The residents of the area who were in the 53rd Native Infantry deserted their officers and rebelled against them as soon as they came to know of the rising in Kanpur. Orai witnessed major changes after 1990 when industries were introduced to the area. HUL, Sun India Pharmacy and several other companies opened their units in and around Orai. The city was further developed as schools and colleges were established, roads were built and the infrastructure was improved. A predominantly dry area, Orai is watered by the Bethwa Canal that supports the production of grain, oil-seeds, cotton and ghee which are exported. The city has more than 2 lakh residents and they speak in Hindi.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.