Haridwar is an ancient and holy city in the Indian state of Uttarakhand. The River Ganga, after having descended from its source in the Gangotri Glacier for 253 kilometers, enters the Indo-Gangetic Plains for the first time at Haridwar. Hence the ancient name of the city was Gangadw?ra. Haridwar is one of the sapta Puri or seven holiest places where, according to Hindu mythology, salvation can be attained. According to Hindu religious texts, Amrit or elixir had been accidentally spilled over Haridwar during the mythological "Samudra Manthan." The spot where the elixir had been spilled is known as Brahma Kund which is a celebrated Hindu pilgrimage. Moreover, the Kumbh Mela is celebrated at Haridwar every 12 years and millions of people from across the world throng to the city. They perform the ritualistic dip in the holy Ganga and seek salvation. Tourism drives the economy of the state and the place is always full of devotees or tourists. The hospitality industry is equally thriving in this city. Haridwar is also an ancient seat of learning and it hosts many prestigious educational institutions. The city is well connected to all parts of the country. The most famous places that people visit in Haridwar are Har Ki Pauri, Chandi Devi Temple, Kankhal, Pawan Dham, Bharat Mata Mandir, etc. There are quite a few places for shopping in Haridwar where people usually purchase items of devotion and inexpensive ornaments.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.