Haldia is an industrial city as well as a port city in the Indian state of West Bengal. It is located in the Purba Medinipur district. Haldia has a major river port and an industrial belt, situated at a distance of more than 100 kilometers from Kolkata, near the mouth of the Hooghly River. The Haldi River, an offshoot of Ganges, borders the Haldia Township. Haldia is a center for the petrochemical industry and is being improved into a major trade port for Kolkata. The city has around 2 lakh residents, mostly employed in the industrial sector. Haldia has numerous factories such as South Asian Petrochemicals Ltd, Exide, Indian Oil Corporation Limited, Tata Chemicals, India Power Corporation Ltd., Haldia Petrochemicals, Mitsubishi Chemical Corporations, Hindustan Lever, etc. in addition to several light industries. Apart from being well connected to the rest of the country via railway and road, Haldia is also connected via waterway. The National Waterway 1 is a 1620 km long inland waterway. It connects Haldia to Allahabad and runs across the Ganges, the Bhagirathi river and the Hooghly river systems. Haldia has a mini Japanese township called Sataku. A Japanese community lives in the area, whose residents work as engineers and top executives in the Mitsubishi Chemical Corporations purified terephthalic acid plant in Haldia.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.