The Indian city of Gandhinagar is situated in the state of Gujarat. It is often referred to as the "Green city" or the "Ecopolite city." Gandhinagar is the capital of Gujarat and it lies on the bank of River Sabarmati. It functions as the administrative capital of Gujarat which was shifted to this newly built city from the city of Ahmedabad that continues to function as the commercial hub of the state. Gandhinagar is a planned city with modern architecture as the infrastructure of the city. As the state capital, it carries the entire political machinery of the state, housing all the government offices and the people employed in them. The city operates as the administrative heart of Gujarat. It is the seat of bureaucracy and thus the economy of the city is led by government employment. Recently, a thermal power plant and a software tech park have been established to promote economic development. The city houses a lot of educational institutions of great repute including the Central University of Gujarat, the National Institute of Design, Gujarat Forensic Sciences University, Gujarat National University of Law, IIT Gandhinagar, etc. Gandhinagar is known for the Akshardham temple which draws many tourists throughout the year.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.