Dindigul is situated in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It was earlier known as Ti??ukkal. Dindigul is located amidst the Palani and Sirumalai Hills and has a large reserved forest area. This ancient settlement is believed to have been ruled by various dynasties like the Pandyas, the Cholas, the Pallavas, the Madurai Sultanate, the Vijayanagara Empire, the Dindigul Sultanates, the Madurai Nayak Dynasty as well as the British. Dindigul proudly houses a number of historical monuments and Rock Fort is the most prominent one among them. The hosts more than 2 lakh people who mainly speak in Tamil. Dindigul is well-connected to the rest of the city through roads and railway. Dindigul has several industrial units in safety lock making, textile spinning, leather tanneries, agricultural trading, administrative services, agricultural machinery, banking and educational services. Additionally, Dindigul has vast expanses of cultivation land. Agriculture is the chief occupation of its residents. The climatic condition of Dindigul is highly conducive for horticulture and agriculture. Hence, non-food crops such as coffee, flowers, tobacco, and eucalyptus are grown in this city. Wholesale trading of fruits such as orange, pineapple, sapota and guava are extensively done at Dindigul. Various temples, mosques and churches are found in the area with intriguing architectural styles from various ruling dynasties.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.