A city as well as a municipal board in the district of the same name, Bahraich is located in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh. It lies beside the Saryu River, which is a tributary of River Ghaghra. Bahraich shares an international border with the neighboring country, Nepal. According to the socio-economic and basic amenities indicators, the Government of India has declared that Bahraich is one of the most minority-concentrated areas in India. Bahraich has a vast forest cover. Trees like Shisham, Dhak, Mahua, Babul, Ashok, Khajur, Mango, Neem, Peepal and Gular are grown here. Several varieties of mangoes, especially the Dasheri mangoes, are grown here. The main crops cultivated at Bahraich are wheat, paddy, sugarcane, mustard and various vegetables. Apart from this, many medicinal and herbal plants like Tulsi, Peppermint are also grown in Bahraich. Hence, the city has an agricultural economy. The area is a growing district in the direction of education as many institutions have been set up in Bahraich like Sanjeevani Institute of Technology and Management, Lord Buddha Degree College, Rupaidiha, Mithilesh Nandini Reshama Arif Mahavidyalaya and several other Islamic education institutes. Awadhi and Urdu are the most commonly used language by the people of Bahraich.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.