Baharampur is located in the Murshidabad district of the Indian state of West Bengal. About 200 kilometers away from the state capital of Kolkata, Baharampur functions as the administrative headquarters of the district. Berhampore was captured by the British East India Company, soon after the Battle of Plassey in 1757, and it continued to be a British cantonment till 1870. Initially, most of the residents of Baharampur were government employees besides a few employed in agriculture and silk traders. Gradually, the importance of Baharampur increased and now it has become a business hub. Tourism contributes to the citys economy due to its historical importance. The major industries in this city are rice and oil-seed milling. Many home-crafts such as silk weaving, ivory carving and precious metal works are important industries in this city. The Murshidabad tassar silk of Baharampur is famous in Bengal. Khagra, a neighborhood in Bahrampur is notable for its manufacture of bell-metal, brass utensils, ivory crafts and wood carvings. There are many shopping destinations in this city which has developed enough to provide its 3 lakh residents with all modern amenities. The city is famous for the sweets manohara and chhanabora, the savory snacks called khaja. The places worth visiting in Baharampur are Nashipur Palace, Hajarduari palace, Kathgola Palace, Jafarganj Cemetery, etc.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.