Anand is the administrative center of the eponymous district in the Indian state of Gujarat. It is situated in the Charotar region which consists of the Anand and Kheda Districts. This city is popularly known as the Milk Capital of India as it was the seat of the milk revolution started by Verghese Kurien who established the first plant of AMUL at Anand in 1946. The Head Office of Gujarat Cooperative Milk Marketing Federation Ltd is located in Anand. There are many other reputed organizations based in this area such as NDDB of India, Vidya Dairy, the Institute of Rural Management Anand and the Anand Agricultural University. Vallabh Vidhyanagar, an educational suburb of Anand, is home to thousands of students from all over India. The vibrant economy of the Anand ranges from farming to large-scale industries. Major crops that are grown in the area are tobacco and banana. Dairy farming is the leading source of economy in Anand. Vitthal Udhyog Nagar, a huge industrial belt located on the outskirts of Anand, has many famous industries such as Elecon Engineering, Vulcan Industrial Engineering Co. Ltd, The Charotar Iron Factory, Milcent and Atlanta Electrics and Warm Steam, etc. Three thriving vegetable markets have developed in this city. Anand houses around 3 lakh residents who speak mainly in Gujarati and also in Hindi.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.