The Canara Bank is the largest public sector bank. Ammembal Sube Rao Pai founded it in 1906. Its head office is in Bangalore. The bank was established as Canara Hindu Permanent Fund in 1906, Mangalore but later in 1910, the name was changed to Canara Bank. The first acquisition of Canara bank was Bank of Kerela which took place in 1961. In 1969, the GOI nationalized Canara Bank, and in 1976, it inaugurated its 1000th branch. The Canara Bank was the first bank to achieve ISO certification for "Total branch banking." The first overseas office of Canara Bank was opened in London and subsequently in Hong Kong and Shanghai. The bank has established a joint venture with SBI and incorporated Commercial Bank of India LLC in Moscow. The seventh branch of the Canara Bank was opened in New York, United States. The bank sponsors two regional rural banks, Kerela Gramin Bank and Pragathi Krishna Gramin Bank. Canara bank has launched a Unified Payment Interface app, "Empower" for its customers to transact using the mobile app.