The two separate towns of Rajpur and Sonarpur in the South 24 Parganas district of the Indian State of West Bengal has been united to form the municipality of Rajpur Sonarpur. This small and emerging city comes under the Kolkata Metropolitan Development Authority or KMDA region. The area was earlier inhabited by the zamindars, who called the area "Rajar Puri," that translates to "Land of the Kings" in the regional language. The city is well connected to the nearby areas and lies in the vicinity of the metro city Kolkata. Rajpur Sonarpur is mostly a residential area and its residents mostly work in the service sector of the KMDA region. The Tripurasundari Temple in Boral area of Rajpur Sonarpur is a famous spot that attracts tourists as well as devotees. Many famous Bengali movies have been shot in and around this city. Rajpur Sonarpur city has a population of around 4 lakh and Bengali is the most commonly used language in the area.
The Shamrao Vithal Co-op. Bank Ltd. or SVC Cooperative Bank Limited, is a banking company incorporated under the Companies Act, 1956 a scheduled bank, and one of the oldest Urban Co-operative Bank in India built in 1906. The bank was set up when co-operation was just started in the country. It was established with the primary aim of helping the less fortunate members of the community under the ambit of its economic enterprises. It was also to encourage savings and to create funds for providing financial aid to deserving members.Mr. Rao Bahadur Shripad Subbarao Talmaki was the chief architect of the Bank. The Bank was initially registered as a Co-operative Credit Society on 27 December 1906. The Bank is present in 10 States of India. Maharashtra, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Delhi, Rajasthan, Haryana, Goa, Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh. In 1907, cumulative deposit scheme, fixed deposit scheme and saving bank deposit were introduced by the bank. After that in 1911, the facilities for remittance were made available to the members by the draft. In 1913, the cash credit scheme was introduced by the bank. In 1956, facilities were thrown open to all communities. In 1988, the Shamrao Vithal bank was conferred the scheduled bank status.