Kharagpur is an industrial city in the Indian state of West Bengal. It is located in the Paschim Medinipur district of the state. It is a densely populated, multi-cultural and cosmopolitan city. The first Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT Kharagpur), was founded in this region in May 1950. Kharagpur is known for hosting one of the largest railway workshops in the country. The Kharagpur railway station is a busy and important railway junction and it has the 3rd longest railway platform in the world, stretching for more than 1 kilometer. The city received its name from king Kharga Malla of Mallabhum when he had conquered it. Kharagpur Municipality oversees the administration and the civic affairs in the city. The city has around 3 lakh residents. Bengali is the most commonly spoken language in the area, although many residents speak in Hindi, Telugu, Odia and Punjabi. This city has one of the largest industrial setups in the state. The good connectivity via rail and road ensures availability of labor and raw materials. Many large industrial plants belonging to important establishments like Tata, Siemens, ISD Cement, Godrej, Century Extrusions, Humboldt Wedag, Bengal Energy, Ramco Cements, etc are located in and around Kharagpur. The town has many small rice mills and iron rolling mills. An IT Park is under construction in the city.
The J&K Bank is a private sector banking and financial services company based in Srinagar, Jammu, and Kashmir. J&K Bank established on October 1, 1938, was the first bank in the country to emerge as a state-owned bank. On 1 October 1938, the Jammu and Kashmir Bank was founded by Maharaja Hari Singh (the Maharaja of Jammu and Kashmir). The eminent investors were invited by the Maharaja to become the founding directors and shareholders of the bank. The most notable investors were Abdul Aziz Mantoo, Pesten jee, Pandit Sriniwas Magotra, and the Bhagat Family, all of whom acquired a significant holding in bank shares. On 4 July 1939, the bank commenced the operations, and it was declared as the first semi-state-owned bank of with participation in capital by State and the public under the control of State Government. The bank had achieved the status of a scheduled bank In the year 1971 and was recognized as an "A" Class bank by the Reserve Bank of India in 1976. The bank had to face severe difficulties during independence time as out of its ten branches two branches of Muzaffarabad, Rawalakot, and Mirpur fell to the other side of the line of control (now Pakistan administered Kashmir) along with cash and other assets. As per the regulations of Indian Companies Act 1956, the bank was declared as a government company following the extension of Central laws to the state of Jammu & Kashmir.