Jalandhar was known by the name Jullundur during the British era. This Indian city is situated in the north-western state of Punjab. It is considered to be one of the oldest cities in the country. It is the administrative headquarters of the Jalandhar district which is divided into 63 wards represented by the elected members called counselors. The city has a rich history in folklore. According to the Hindu epic Ramayana, Jalandhar was the capital of King Lav, the son of Lord Rama and was apparently named after a demon called "Jalandar". The main economic support of the city is derived from agriculture. The most grown crop is wheat followed by other crops such as rice, cotton, pearl millet, maize, sugarcane, barley and different fruits. Jalandhar is home to many government-run and private educational institutions. Prestigious institutions like the National Institute of Technology, Jalandhar, DAV University, Lovely Professional University, Sant Baba Bhag Singh University, Khalsa College etc. have been opened in Jalandhar. The city is also known for places of tourist attractions such as Devi Talab Mandir, Shiv Mandir, Shiv Bari Mandir, Imam Nasir Mausoleum and Jamma Masjid, Gurudwara Kakipind Rama Mandir, etc.
The J&K Bank is a private sector banking and financial services company based in Srinagar, Jammu, and Kashmir. J&K Bank established on October 1, 1938, was the first bank in the country to emerge as a state-owned bank. On 1 October 1938, the Jammu and Kashmir Bank was founded by Maharaja Hari Singh (the Maharaja of Jammu and Kashmir). The eminent investors were invited by the Maharaja to become the founding directors and shareholders of the bank. The most notable investors were Abdul Aziz Mantoo, Pesten jee, Pandit Sriniwas Magotra, and the Bhagat Family, all of whom acquired a significant holding in bank shares. On 4 July 1939, the bank commenced the operations, and it was declared as the first semi-state-owned bank of with participation in capital by State and the public under the control of State Government. The bank had achieved the status of a scheduled bank In the year 1971 and was recognized as an "A" Class bank by the Reserve Bank of India in 1976. The bank had to face severe difficulties during independence time as out of its ten branches two branches of Muzaffarabad, Rawalakot, and Mirpur fell to the other side of the line of control (now Pakistan administered Kashmir) along with cash and other assets. As per the regulations of Indian Companies Act 1956, the bank was declared as a government company following the extension of Central laws to the state of Jammu & Kashmir.