Naihati is a riverside town in the Indian state of West Bengal. It is situated in the Barrackpore subdivision of the North 24 Parganas district. Naihati municipality, established in 1869, is one of the oldest in the country. Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay, who wrote Indias national song Vande Mataram, was born in Naihati. Naihati had a vibrant industrial area. The jute mills along the bank of the Hooghly River were thriving and prosperous at a time, which attracted a lot of immigrants from the neighboring state of Bihar and Odisha. Hence, a large portion of Naihatis 2 lakh residents are immigrants who have settled down in shanty towns around the mill area. The Jenson & Nicholson factory was the first of its kind to be set up at Naihati. It produces paints, varnishes, pigments and allied products. The Gouripore Jute Mill and the Nuddea Jute Mills were leading providers of employment in Naihati. Naihati is also notable for fish farming - various genus of fish like Katla, Koi, Magur, Pabda, Rohu, etc. are reared in several fisheries in the area. Naihati railway station is also an important railway junction on the Indian Railways network. Durga Puja and Kali Puja are celebrated at Naihati with much pomp and show.
The Indian Bank is one of the top performing public sector banks incorporated in 1907 and based in Chennai, India. It has 20,924 employees and 2836 branches. As on 2018, the total business of the Indian bank is around Rs.3.64 lakh Crores . The Information Systems & Security processes of the bank are certified with ISO27001:2013 standard. Outside India, it has branches in Colombo and Singapore along with a Foreign Currency Banking Unit at Colombo and Jaffna. "Indbank Merchant Banking Services Ltd" and "IndBank Housing Ltd" are the two sister concerns of the Indian Bank. The Government of India has owned the bank since 1969. The Madras lawyer, V. Krishnaswamy Iyer founded the Indian bank in 1906. In 1932, a branch in Colombo was opened by the Indian bank. In 1935, A second branch was opened at Jaffna in Ceylon, but it was shut in 1939. In late 1940, the next office was opened in Rangoon, Burma. In late 1941, more branches were opened in Ipoh, Penang, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur. The difficulties of war forced IB to shut its offices in Singapore and Malayan. In 1947 after the war, the Indian bank reopened its branch in Colombo. In 1962, some branches of Indian Bank were also opened in Burma, Malayan, and Singapore. In 1963, the Burmese government nationalized all foreign banks, including Indian Banks branch.