Karaikudi is situated in the Sivaganga district of Tamil Nadu. It is a greater municipality and the states 20th largest urban agglomeration. It is part of the Chettinad area and has been declared a heritage town by the State Government of Tamil Nadu. Karaikudi is known for its palatial houses that are built with limestone called Karai Veedu. Karaikudi has derived its name from the thorny plant called Karai. It has been referred to in the ancient literature as Kareekudi. The name gradually got modified and modernized into Karaikudi. It was established in the 19th century. The oldest known structure in the area is the Koppudaiya Nayagi Amman Temple. The town of Karaikudi is home to the Nagarathars and the Chettiars who form the business community, the financiers and the trade facilitators. Karaikudi is a rapidly developing urban center. UNESCO has proposed to set up a Chettinad Heritage Museum in the area, recognizing the unique architectural style of the region. Karaikudi is known for its palm leaf baskets woven by the women, known as Chettinad Kottan. Chettinadu Kandangi sarees of Karaikudi are widely popular in the region. The handicraft industry in Karaikudi is indeed a thriving business. Karaikudi is also known for its delectable cuisine. There are many prominent temples in the area that attract tourists. Kundrakudi Shanmuganathan Temple, Ariyakudi Thiruvengamudayan Temple, Pillayarpatti Karpagavinayagar temple, Thirumayam Permual Temple, Kannadasan Mandapam, Kamban Manimandapam, Chettinad Raja Palace and Thousand windows house are the visitor attractions in Karaikudi
The Indian Bank is one of the top performing public sector banks incorporated in 1907 and based in Chennai, India. It has 20,924 employees and 2836 branches. As on 2018, the total business of the Indian bank is around Rs.3.64 lakh Crores . The Information Systems & Security processes of the bank are certified with ISO27001:2013 standard. Outside India, it has branches in Colombo and Singapore along with a Foreign Currency Banking Unit at Colombo and Jaffna. "Indbank Merchant Banking Services Ltd" and "IndBank Housing Ltd" are the two sister concerns of the Indian Bank. The Government of India has owned the bank since 1969. The Madras lawyer, V. Krishnaswamy Iyer founded the Indian bank in 1906. In 1932, a branch in Colombo was opened by the Indian bank. In 1935, A second branch was opened at Jaffna in Ceylon, but it was shut in 1939. In late 1940, the next office was opened in Rangoon, Burma. In late 1941, more branches were opened in Ipoh, Penang, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur. The difficulties of war forced IB to shut its offices in Singapore and Malayan. In 1947 after the war, the Indian bank reopened its branch in Colombo. In 1962, some branches of Indian Bank were also opened in Burma, Malayan, and Singapore. In 1963, the Burmese government nationalized all foreign banks, including Indian Banks branch.