Jaunpur is a town as well as a municipal board in the Jaunpur district of Uttar Pradesh. Jaunpur is located in the Purvanchal area, towards the northwest of the Varanasi district in the eastern part of the state. A greenfield airport is currently under construction in Jaunpur. Jaunpur was founded 1359 by the Sultan of Delhi Feroz Shah Tughlaq and was then known as Sheeraz-e-Hind. However, the ruler of Jaunpur soon broke off from the Delhi Sultanate and founded the Sharqi dynasty at Jaunpur and continued to rule for over a century till the Delhi Sultanate reconquered Jaunpur in 1493. It passed on to the Lodis and the Mughals and finally to the British after the Permanent settlement of 1779. Jaunpur has extremely fertile land due to the presence of five rivers namely Gomti, Sai, Varuna, Pili, and Basuhi. The Indian government initiated industrialization in 1976. The Satharia Industrial Development Authority was set up with more than 500 acres of land to promote industrial, commercial and social development. Pepsico India Pvt. Ltd and Hawkins Cooker Limited have their manufacturing units in this area. The area is dotted with great historical monuments and a few worth visiting are Shahi Quila Jaunpur Fort, Shahi Bridge, Jaunpur Atala Masjid, Jaunpur Jama Masjid, Lal Darwaza Masjid, etc.
The Indian Bank is one of the top performing public sector banks incorporated in 1907 and based in Chennai, India. It has 20,924 employees and 2836 branches. As on 2018, the total business of the Indian bank is around Rs.3.64 lakh Crores . The Information Systems & Security processes of the bank are certified with ISO27001:2013 standard. Outside India, it has branches in Colombo and Singapore along with a Foreign Currency Banking Unit at Colombo and Jaffna. "Indbank Merchant Banking Services Ltd" and "IndBank Housing Ltd" are the two sister concerns of the Indian Bank. The Government of India has owned the bank since 1969. The Madras lawyer, V. Krishnaswamy Iyer founded the Indian bank in 1906. In 1932, a branch in Colombo was opened by the Indian bank. In 1935, A second branch was opened at Jaffna in Ceylon, but it was shut in 1939. In late 1940, the next office was opened in Rangoon, Burma. In late 1941, more branches were opened in Ipoh, Penang, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur. The difficulties of war forced IB to shut its offices in Singapore and Malayan. In 1947 after the war, the Indian bank reopened its branch in Colombo. In 1962, some branches of Indian Bank were also opened in Burma, Malayan, and Singapore. In 1963, the Burmese government nationalized all foreign banks, including Indian Banks branch.