Ichalkaranji is a city in the Kolhapur district of the Indian state of Maharashtra. The city is known for its textile manufacturing industry and the export of textile goods. This city was initially a Maratha Princely state which is situated on the banks of the Panchganga River. It lies in the Panchganga valley, quite near to the neighboring city of Kohlapur. There are seven hamlets within Ichalkaranji. Ichalkaranji Municipal Council looks after the civic administration of the city. There are 65 wards in the city that are governed by the elected council members. The textile business boosts the economy of this city and raised the per capita income to Rs.116,472. Hence, the city is often referred to as the "Manchester of Maharashtra." Engineering, especially the manufacture of measuring instruments, is the second largest industry here and considerably contributes to the economy of the city. The finance sector also has a prominent presence in Ichalkaranji and provides employment opportunities to many residents. Sugarcane is also heavily cultivated at Ichalkaranji. The city has several schools and colleges that offer different types of education and courses. There are many institutes offering research facilities.
The Indian Bank is one of the top performing public sector banks incorporated in 1907 and based in Chennai, India. It has 20,924 employees and 2836 branches. As on 2018, the total business of the Indian bank is around Rs.3.64 lakh Crores . The Information Systems & Security processes of the bank are certified with ISO27001:2013 standard. Outside India, it has branches in Colombo and Singapore along with a Foreign Currency Banking Unit at Colombo and Jaffna. "Indbank Merchant Banking Services Ltd" and "IndBank Housing Ltd" are the two sister concerns of the Indian Bank. The Government of India has owned the bank since 1969. The Madras lawyer, V. Krishnaswamy Iyer founded the Indian bank in 1906. In 1932, a branch in Colombo was opened by the Indian bank. In 1935, A second branch was opened at Jaffna in Ceylon, but it was shut in 1939. In late 1940, the next office was opened in Rangoon, Burma. In late 1941, more branches were opened in Ipoh, Penang, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur. The difficulties of war forced IB to shut its offices in Singapore and Malayan. In 1947 after the war, the Indian bank reopened its branch in Colombo. In 1962, some branches of Indian Bank were also opened in Burma, Malayan, and Singapore. In 1963, the Burmese government nationalized all foreign banks, including Indian Banks branch.