Chinsurah is a town on the banks of the Hooghly river in the Hooghly district of the Indian state of West Bengal. It is often known by the name Hooghly-Chinsura or Chuchura. The town functions as the administrative headquarters of the Hooghly district. Chinsurah was a Dutch settlement prior to the Indian independence. Chinsurah was used as a base for trade in various commodities such as saltpeter, spices, cotton and indigo. The town of Chinsurah has nearly 3 lakh residents and Bengali is the most commonly used language. The town is connected to the nearby cities of Kolkata and Bardhaman through railway as it is situated on the Howrah-Bardhaman main line. The Grand Trunk Road or the G.T.Road passes through the town. Ferry services on River Hooghly connects Chinsurah to Naihati in the district of North 24 Parganas. Most of the residents of this town travel to the metro city of Kolkata for work. The District Court building at Chinsurah is known to be the longest building in the state. Chinsurah also has the oldest Armenian church in India. The Hooghly Imambara, the Edwardian clock tower called Ghorir More, the temple of Mahishmardini, the temple of Shandeshwar and the Bandel Church nearby are places worth visiting in Chinsurah. There are some famous educational institutions in Chinsurah - the Hooghly Mohsin college, Collegiate school, Don Bosco and Auxilium Convent are seats of profound education in this town.
The Indian Bank is one of the top performing public sector banks incorporated in 1907 and based in Chennai, India. It has 20,924 employees and 2836 branches. As on 2018, the total business of the Indian bank is around Rs.3.64 lakh Crores . The Information Systems & Security processes of the bank are certified with ISO27001:2013 standard. Outside India, it has branches in Colombo and Singapore along with a Foreign Currency Banking Unit at Colombo and Jaffna. "Indbank Merchant Banking Services Ltd" and "IndBank Housing Ltd" are the two sister concerns of the Indian Bank. The Government of India has owned the bank since 1969. The Madras lawyer, V. Krishnaswamy Iyer founded the Indian bank in 1906. In 1932, a branch in Colombo was opened by the Indian bank. In 1935, A second branch was opened at Jaffna in Ceylon, but it was shut in 1939. In late 1940, the next office was opened in Rangoon, Burma. In late 1941, more branches were opened in Ipoh, Penang, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur. The difficulties of war forced IB to shut its offices in Singapore and Malayan. In 1947 after the war, the Indian bank reopened its branch in Colombo. In 1962, some branches of Indian Bank were also opened in Burma, Malayan, and Singapore. In 1963, the Burmese government nationalized all foreign banks, including Indian Banks branch.