Durgapur, situated in the Burdwan district of the Indian state of West Bengal, is Indias second planned city. It is the third largest city in West Bengal and is also known as the "Ruhr of India." It lies beside the Damodar River and is the only city in the eastern part of India to have an operational dry dock. The city is a base of industrialization in East India owing to it coal-rich belt which supports the flourishing steel, cement, thermal power and chemicals industries. Large-scale industries like the Durgapur Steel Plant, the Durgapur Thermal Power Station, the Durgapur Cement Ltd, Graphite India Ltd, Hindustan Fertilizer Corporation, etc are based out of this city. Education is another sector that has a strong hold on this region. Institutions like National Institute of Technology, National Power Training Institute, Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute, apart from several Kendriya Vidyalayas and Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas School ensure quality education to the youth of Durgapur. Durgapur is not exactly a typical spot for tourism. However, some of the places worth visiting include Durgapur Barrage, Mohan Kumar Mangalam Park, Anand Amusement Park, Rahreswar Shibtola, Ram Mandir, Deul Park, Garh Jungle, etc.
The Indian Bank is one of the top performing public sector banks incorporated in 1907 and based in Chennai, India. It has 20,924 employees and 2836 branches. As on 2018, the total business of the Indian bank is around Rs.3.64 lakh Crores . The Information Systems & Security processes of the bank are certified with ISO27001:2013 standard. Outside India, it has branches in Colombo and Singapore along with a Foreign Currency Banking Unit at Colombo and Jaffna. "Indbank Merchant Banking Services Ltd" and "IndBank Housing Ltd" are the two sister concerns of the Indian Bank. The Government of India has owned the bank since 1969. The Madras lawyer, V. Krishnaswamy Iyer founded the Indian bank in 1906. In 1932, a branch in Colombo was opened by the Indian bank. In 1935, A second branch was opened at Jaffna in Ceylon, but it was shut in 1939. In late 1940, the next office was opened in Rangoon, Burma. In late 1941, more branches were opened in Ipoh, Penang, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur. The difficulties of war forced IB to shut its offices in Singapore and Malayan. In 1947 after the war, the Indian bank reopened its branch in Colombo. In 1962, some branches of Indian Bank were also opened in Burma, Malayan, and Singapore. In 1963, the Burmese government nationalized all foreign banks, including Indian Banks branch.