Baranagar is an emerging city in the Indian state of West Bengal. It is a municipality in the Barrackpore subdivision of the North 24 Parganas district and territorially belongs to the Kolkata Urban Agglomeration. The area was occupied by the in the seventeenth century. An old mansion of the Dutch merchants still remains in the Kutighat area. There was a hog factory in the area where around 3,000 hogs were slaughtered and salted for export every year. Hogs are called "Baraha" in Bengali and hence the area came to be known as "Baraha Nagar" or the "town of hogs." The name got modified to Baranagar later. Baranagar was a renowned center for the extensive jute trade and manufacturing gunny bags during the British era. Baranagar hosts the Indian Statistical Institute or ISI, which is an institution of national importance. It is devoted to research, teaching and application of statistics, social sciences and natural sciences. The city is a major industrial center for the manufacture of agricultural and industrial machinery. Furthermore, the city also has several units for the manufacture of chemicals, castor oil and matches. It also has numerous cotton-processing companies. Temples such as Kaancher Mandir, Joy Mitra Kali Bari and Pathbari draw a lot of local tourists to Baranagar.
The Indian Bank is one of the top performing public sector banks incorporated in 1907 and based in Chennai, India. It has 20,924 employees and 2836 branches. As on 2018, the total business of the Indian bank is around Rs.3.64 lakh Crores . The Information Systems & Security processes of the bank are certified with ISO27001:2013 standard. Outside India, it has branches in Colombo and Singapore along with a Foreign Currency Banking Unit at Colombo and Jaffna. "Indbank Merchant Banking Services Ltd" and "IndBank Housing Ltd" are the two sister concerns of the Indian Bank. The Government of India has owned the bank since 1969. The Madras lawyer, V. Krishnaswamy Iyer founded the Indian bank in 1906. In 1932, a branch in Colombo was opened by the Indian bank. In 1935, A second branch was opened at Jaffna in Ceylon, but it was shut in 1939. In late 1940, the next office was opened in Rangoon, Burma. In late 1941, more branches were opened in Ipoh, Penang, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur. The difficulties of war forced IB to shut its offices in Singapore and Malayan. In 1947 after the war, the Indian bank reopened its branch in Colombo. In 1962, some branches of Indian Bank were also opened in Burma, Malayan, and Singapore. In 1963, the Burmese government nationalized all foreign banks, including Indian Banks branch.