Alappuzha, popularly known as Alleppey, located in Kerala, functions as the administrative headquarters of the Alappuzha District. This city and a municipality in Kerala has an urban population of nearly two lakh people, having highest literacy rate in the state. The Centre for Science and Environment rated Alleppey as the cleanest town in India in 2016, followed by Mysuru and Panaji. This city is the oldest planned city in this area. The lighthouse on the coast of Alappuzha is the first of its kind on the Laccadive Sea coast. The town of Alappuzha is known for its picturesque canals, backwaters, beaches, and lagoons. Lord Curzon had described this city as the "Venice of the East." Malayalam is the most commonly used language in Alappuzha. Alleppey is a place of great tourist attraction in India. The Backwaters of Alleppey are the most popular tourist destination in Kerala. The cruise and houseboats in these backwaters are highly popular. Other attractions in the area are Alappuzha Beach, Pathiramanal, Ambalappuzha Sri Krishna Temple, Arthunkal, Mannarasala Temple, St. Andrews Basilica, Krishnapuram Palace, Haripad Sree Subrahmanya Swamy temple, Chettikulangara Devi Temple, Thakazhy Sree Dharma Sastha Temple, Padanilam Parabrahma Temple, Edathua Church, Mullakkal Temple, Alappuzha CSI Christ Church and Champakulam Valia Palli. The economy of this town is fuelled by tourism followed by agriculture and marine products. Although the district is industrially backward, a few traditional industries such as coir and coir products, handlooms, handicrafts, marine products and toddy tapping are quite popular in Alappuzha for a long time.
The Indian Bank is one of the top performing public sector banks incorporated in 1907 and based in Chennai, India. It has 20,924 employees and 2836 branches. As on 2018, the total business of the Indian bank is around Rs.3.64 lakh Crores . The Information Systems & Security processes of the bank are certified with ISO27001:2013 standard. Outside India, it has branches in Colombo and Singapore along with a Foreign Currency Banking Unit at Colombo and Jaffna. "Indbank Merchant Banking Services Ltd" and "IndBank Housing Ltd" are the two sister concerns of the Indian Bank. The Government of India has owned the bank since 1969. The Madras lawyer, V. Krishnaswamy Iyer founded the Indian bank in 1906. In 1932, a branch in Colombo was opened by the Indian bank. In 1935, A second branch was opened at Jaffna in Ceylon, but it was shut in 1939. In late 1940, the next office was opened in Rangoon, Burma. In late 1941, more branches were opened in Ipoh, Penang, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur. The difficulties of war forced IB to shut its offices in Singapore and Malayan. In 1947 after the war, the Indian bank reopened its branch in Colombo. In 1962, some branches of Indian Bank were also opened in Burma, Malayan, and Singapore. In 1963, the Burmese government nationalized all foreign banks, including Indian Banks branch.