The city of Junagadh in the Indian state of Gujarat functions as the headquarters of the Junagadh district. It is the 7th largest city in Gujarat, situated at the base of the Girnar hills. There are two rivers flowing through the city, namely Sonrakh and Kalwo. The name of the city literally translates to "Old Fort." The city was earlier a princely state and is also known by its previous name "Sorath." Junagadh was initially a part of the Saurashtra state and later belonged to the Bombay state. After the Maha Gujarat movement in 1960, the city became a part of the newly formed state of Gujarat. Mountainous region and forest reserves constitute the topography of Junagadh which doesnt support the growth of industries or plants in the area. The main source of economic growth for Junagadh is its mineral-based cement industry, agricultural production and the power sector. There are huge reserves of limestone in the vicinity of Junagadh, which ensures a thriving cement industry. The major crops cultivated in the area are wheat, oilseeds, cotton, mango, groundnut, garlic, banana, onion and brinjal. There are spectacular tourist spots in Junagadh. The Uparkot Fort is an impressive fort that was built by Chandragupta during the Mauryan rule. The temple at Somnath is famous among Hindu devotees. The Gir Forest National Park draws numerous tourists every year.
TMB, a private sector bank established in 1921 as Nadar bank, later the name changed to Tamilnad Mercantile Bank in November 1962. The head office of the Tamilnad Bank is at Thoothukudi, Tamil Nadu. The primary objective of founding TMB was to serve the Nadar business community, and the idea was proposed at the annual meeting of Nadar Mahajani Sangam at Tuticorin in 1920. AMMS Chinnamani Nadar found the other founding members of the bank and played a significant role in its formation in 1921. Outside Tamil Nadu, the bank opened its first branch in Bangalore in 1976. The bank had only four offices by 1947: Sivakasi, Tuticorin, Madurai, Virudhunagar. On 9 December 1984, the bank opened its first computerized branch in Tuticorin at WGC road. In 1983, the bank started using modern technologies and was the first to adopt computerization for branch level operations. All the 500 branches of the bank are connected using Infosys FINACLE software. For providing payment gateway services to its internet banking customers, TMB has partnered with Pay U India, Bill Desk, CC Avenue, etc. It is the first bank to provide POS machines and mobile banking to its customers. For connecting Head office with regional offices, the bank has adopted video conferencing facility. For ATM operations, TMB is a member of National Financial Switch.