Bhopal, the capital of Madhya Pradesh, is known for its scenic beauty and old historic structures. The city has many natural as well as artificial lakes and is often referred to as the City of Lakes. The city is divided into two - old and new Bhopal. The old city is marked by its marketplaces, mosques and palaces, whereas the new city has modern buildings, broad avenues as well as many verdant parks and gardens. Folklore says that the city was founded by Raja Bhoja of the Paramara dynasty in the 11th century. The modern city of Bhopal was established by a Pashtun soldier in the Mughal army by the name of Dost Mohammad Khan soon after the death of King Aurangzeb. Bhopals delectable cuisine and splendid architecture was a gift from the Muslim rulers. During the British rule, Bhopal became a princely state and was ruled by four Muslim women who are popularly known as the Begums. These Begums gifted the city with its railways, waterworks, the postal system and even a municipality. Hindus and Muslims harmoniously coexist in this city that celebrates Diwali and Eid with equal passion and devotion. Bhopal, in recent times, serves as a trade center of electrical goods, and chemicals, cotton clothes and jewelry. The city also has various institutes of national importance. AIIMS, IISER and ISRO?s Master Control Facility are a few among them. Bhopal is known for its gas tragedy on 3rd December 1984, when methyl isocyanate gas escaped from the Union Carbide Insecticide plant and affected the lives of lakhs of people, killing thousands. It was one of the gravest industrial disasters in the history of mankind.
TMB, a private sector bank established in 1921 as Nadar bank, later the name changed to Tamilnad Mercantile Bank in November 1962. The head office of the Tamilnad Bank is at Thoothukudi, Tamil Nadu. The primary objective of founding TMB was to serve the Nadar business community, and the idea was proposed at the annual meeting of Nadar Mahajani Sangam at Tuticorin in 1920. AMMS Chinnamani Nadar found the other founding members of the bank and played a significant role in its formation in 1921. Outside Tamil Nadu, the bank opened its first branch in Bangalore in 1976. The bank had only four offices by 1947: Sivakasi, Tuticorin, Madurai, Virudhunagar. On 9 December 1984, the bank opened its first computerized branch in Tuticorin at WGC road. In 1983, the bank started using modern technologies and was the first to adopt computerization for branch level operations. All the 500 branches of the bank are connected using Infosys FINACLE software. For providing payment gateway services to its internet banking customers, TMB has partnered with Pay U India, Bill Desk, CC Avenue, etc. It is the first bank to provide POS machines and mobile banking to its customers. For connecting Head office with regional offices, the bank has adopted video conferencing facility. For ATM operations, TMB is a member of National Financial Switch.