Baharampur is located in the Murshidabad district of the Indian state of West Bengal. About 200 kilometers away from the state capital of Kolkata, Baharampur functions as the administrative headquarters of the district. Berhampore was captured by the British East India Company, soon after the Battle of Plassey in 1757, and it continued to be a British cantonment till 1870. Initially, most of the residents of Baharampur were government employees besides a few employed in agriculture and silk traders. Gradually, the importance of Baharampur increased and now it has become a business hub. Tourism contributes to the citys economy due to its historical importance. The major industries in this city are rice and oil-seed milling. Many home-crafts such as silk weaving, ivory carving and precious metal works are important industries in this city. The Murshidabad tassar silk of Baharampur is famous in Bengal. Khagra, a neighborhood in Bahrampur is notable for its manufacture of bell-metal, brass utensils, ivory crafts and wood carvings. There are many shopping destinations in this city which has developed enough to provide its 3 lakh residents with all modern amenities. The city is famous for the sweets manohara and chhanabora, the savory snacks called khaja. The places worth visiting in Baharampur are Nashipur Palace, Hajarduari palace, Kathgola Palace, Jafarganj Cemetery, etc.
TMB, a private sector bank established in 1921 as Nadar bank, later the name changed to Tamilnad Mercantile Bank in November 1962. The head office of the Tamilnad Bank is at Thoothukudi, Tamil Nadu. The primary objective of founding TMB was to serve the Nadar business community, and the idea was proposed at the annual meeting of Nadar Mahajani Sangam at Tuticorin in 1920. AMMS Chinnamani Nadar found the other founding members of the bank and played a significant role in its formation in 1921. Outside Tamil Nadu, the bank opened its first branch in Bangalore in 1976. The bank had only four offices by 1947: Sivakasi, Tuticorin, Madurai, Virudhunagar. On 9 December 1984, the bank opened its first computerized branch in Tuticorin at WGC road. In 1983, the bank started using modern technologies and was the first to adopt computerization for branch level operations. All the 500 branches of the bank are connected using Infosys FINACLE software. For providing payment gateway services to its internet banking customers, TMB has partnered with Pay U India, Bill Desk, CC Avenue, etc. It is the first bank to provide POS machines and mobile banking to its customers. For connecting Head office with regional offices, the bank has adopted video conferencing facility. For ATM operations, TMB is a member of National Financial Switch.