Karaikudi is situated in the Sivaganga district of Tamil Nadu. It is a greater municipality and the states 20th largest urban agglomeration. It is part of the Chettinad area and has been declared a heritage town by the State Government of Tamil Nadu. Karaikudi is known for its palatial houses that are built with limestone called Karai Veedu. Karaikudi has derived its name from the thorny plant called Karai. It has been referred to in the ancient literature as Kareekudi. The name gradually got modified and modernized into Karaikudi. It was established in the 19th century. The oldest known structure in the area is the Koppudaiya Nayagi Amman Temple. The town of Karaikudi is home to the Nagarathars and the Chettiars who form the business community, the financiers and the trade facilitators. Karaikudi is a rapidly developing urban center. UNESCO has proposed to set up a Chettinad Heritage Museum in the area, recognizing the unique architectural style of the region. Karaikudi is known for its palm leaf baskets woven by the women, known as Chettinad Kottan. Chettinadu Kandangi sarees of Karaikudi are widely popular in the region. The handicraft industry in Karaikudi is indeed a thriving business. Karaikudi is also known for its delectable cuisine. There are many prominent temples in the area that attract tourists. Kundrakudi Shanmuganathan Temple, Ariyakudi Thiruvengamudayan Temple, Pillayarpatti Karpagavinayagar temple, Thirumayam Permual Temple, Kannadasan Mandapam, Kamban Manimandapam, Chettinad Raja Palace and Thousand windows house are the visitor attractions in Karaikudi
the Syndicate Bank was established by Upendra Pai, T M A Pai, and Vaman Kudva. The bank was popular as Canara Industrial and Banking Syndicate Limited at the time of its establishment. The Syndicate bank was nationalized by the Government of India On 19 July 1969, along with 13 major commercial banks of India. It is based in the university town of Manipal, India. The business of the bank started with a capital of 8000 rupees. In 1925, the first office of the bank began its business at Udupi in Dakshin Kannada district, Karnataka, India. Its membership as a clearinghouse was secured at Mumbai by 1937. The main objective of the bank was to provide the financial assistance to the local weavers. Initially, through its agents, the bank collected as low as two annas from the doorsteps of the depositors daily. Pigmy Deposit Scheme is the same kind of system, wherein the agents of the bank come doorsteps to collect the deposit, and it is still prevailing in India. The Bank has its branches in the multiple states and union territories in India. Syndicate Nitte School of Banking (SNSB) is a joint venture between the Syndicate Bank and Nitte Educational International Pvt. Ltd. (NEIL). It operates one center each at Mangalore and Greater Noida.