Udupi city is the administrative headquarter of the Udupi District of Karnataka. Udupi is a prime tourist attraction in Karnataka. It is known for the famous Krishna Temple and the delectable Udupi cuisine which is famous all over South India. Udipi is often referred to as Lord Parashurama Kshetra and it is famous for Kanakana Kindi. It is an important center of pilgrimage and is known as Rajata Peetha and Shivalli. It is also known as the temple city. Udupi has more than 1.5 lakh residents who mostly speak in the Tulu language. The other languages spoken in the area are Konkani, Kannada, Hindi and English. Muslims living in Udupi speak in Urdu, Nawayathi and Beary. Udupi is slowly developing into a major town in Karnataka. Udupis economy is largely dependent on agriculture and fishing. The city has quite a few small-scale industries such as cashew industry and milk cooperatives. Udupi is of-late making its mark in the real estate industry as well. Udupi also has a local handloom sari industry, made of pure cotton. These lightweight sarees have art silk design and small motifs of art silk dotting. Manipal is a suburb of Udupi and hosts a number of famous educational institutions.
The government of India owns the Canara Bank as one of the largest and oldest public sector banks. The headquarter of the bank is in Bengaluru. It had a network of 6639 branches and more than 10600 ATMs all over India, as of 30 October 2017. The bank also has offices outside India in Hong Kong, Moscow, Shanghai, Doha, London,Bahrain, Dubai, Tanzania,South Africa, and New York. On 1 July 1906, the Canara Hindu Permanent Fund in Mangalore, India, was initiated by Ammembal Subba Rao Pai. The fund name was changed to Canara Bank Limited in 1910 when it was incorporated. In 1958, Canara Bank was permitted by the Reserve Bank of India to acquire G. Raghumathmul Bank of Hyderabad. G. Raghumathmul Bank had five branches at the time of the acquisition. The merger took effect in 1961. Canara Bank acquired Trivandrum Permanent Bank, later in 1961. Along with 13 other prominent commercial banks of India, on 19 July 1969, the Government of India nationalized Canara Bank. Canara Bank inaugurated its 1000th branch in 1976. In 1985, Canara Bank acquired Lakshmi Commercial Bank in a rescue. Due to these acquisitions, Canara Bank got some 230 branches in northern India.