Tiruvottiyur is located in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It is a neighborhood in North Chennai, located within the Greater Chennai Corporation. It is often spelled as Thiruvottriyur or just TVT. The city belongs to the Tondiarpet division of the state. The city is located near Parrys and Chennai Central, yet it provides comparatively cheaper residential space along with decent amenities. Hence, it has become a much-coveted and sought after residential destination.The city comprises of industrial units, trading activity and fishing hamlets. Tiruvottiyur is easily accessible road and railway. There are around 2.5 lakh residents in Tiruvottiyur. It is believed that Thiruvottiyur was inhabited even before the city of Chennai was formed. There are many ancient as well as new temples in and around the city. Tiruvottiyur is a heavily populated suburb of Chennai. It has a few industrial establishments that employ a majority of the citys population. Business is another source of income for the residents. The fishing industry is also enormous in the city. The city is well-equipped with all the modern facilities and amenities. However, entertainment options are rather scarce in this city as a lot of movie theaters have been converted into real estate properties. The city is well-known for its food and a lot of hotels, restaurants and small food joints are distributed across the place. Thiruvottiyur is considered to be an economical housing zone. It is gradually developing on par with the other localities in Chennai.
The government of India owns the Canara Bank as one of the largest and oldest public sector banks. The headquarter of the bank is in Bengaluru. It had a network of 6639 branches and more than 10600 ATMs all over India, as of 30 October 2017. The bank also has offices outside India in Hong Kong, Moscow, Shanghai, Doha, London,Bahrain, Dubai, Tanzania,South Africa, and New York. On 1 July 1906, the Canara Hindu Permanent Fund in Mangalore, India, was initiated by Ammembal Subba Rao Pai. The fund name was changed to Canara Bank Limited in 1910 when it was incorporated. In 1958, Canara Bank was permitted by the Reserve Bank of India to acquire G. Raghumathmul Bank of Hyderabad. G. Raghumathmul Bank had five branches at the time of the acquisition. The merger took effect in 1961. Canara Bank acquired Trivandrum Permanent Bank, later in 1961. Along with 13 other prominent commercial banks of India, on 19 July 1969, the Government of India nationalized Canara Bank. Canara Bank inaugurated its 1000th branch in 1976. In 1985, Canara Bank acquired Lakshmi Commercial Bank in a rescue. Due to these acquisitions, Canara Bank got some 230 branches in northern India.