Trichy or Tiruchirappalli is a tier II city in the South Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It is the fourth largest city in the state and also the headquarter of Tiruchirappalli District. It is divided into 60 wards for its current administration with a wide and diverse population of more than 9 lakh. Trichy is located at the geographic center of Tamil Nadu and in the vicinity of River Cauverys delta region. The city has a rich religious history and is an ancient region with a lot of cultural significance. Tiruchirappalli is a major hub for engineering equipment manufacturing and fabrication. The economy of the city is driven by trade and small-scale industries in textile manufacturing. The densely populated city of Trichy is encompassed by agricultural fields where finger millets, paddy and maize are cultivated. The city is also known for its tanneries, oil presses and cigar-manufacturing units. Trichy is a celebrated center for education. The city boasts of its 45 arts and science colleges, 40 polytechnic colleges apart from institutes of great repute such as NIT Trichy, IIIT Trichy, Anbil Dharmalingam Agricultural College and Research Institute, Anna University Tiruchirappalli, etc. Major tourist spots in the city include Sri Ranganathaswamy Temple, Rock Fort Temple, Jambukeswarar Temple, St. Lourdes Church, Kallanai Dam, etc. Trichy is considered to be the third cleanest city in India preceded by Chandigarh and Mysore.
The government of India owns the Canara Bank as one of the largest and oldest public sector banks. The headquarter of the bank is in Bengaluru. It had a network of 6639 branches and more than 10600 ATMs all over India, as of 30 October 2017. The bank also has offices outside India in Hong Kong, Moscow, Shanghai, Doha, London,Bahrain, Dubai, Tanzania,South Africa, and New York. On 1 July 1906, the Canara Hindu Permanent Fund in Mangalore, India, was initiated by Ammembal Subba Rao Pai. The fund name was changed to Canara Bank Limited in 1910 when it was incorporated. In 1958, Canara Bank was permitted by the Reserve Bank of India to acquire G. Raghumathmul Bank of Hyderabad. G. Raghumathmul Bank had five branches at the time of the acquisition. The merger took effect in 1961. Canara Bank acquired Trivandrum Permanent Bank, later in 1961. Along with 13 other prominent commercial banks of India, on 19 July 1969, the Government of India nationalized Canara Bank. Canara Bank inaugurated its 1000th branch in 1976. In 1985, Canara Bank acquired Lakshmi Commercial Bank in a rescue. Due to these acquisitions, Canara Bank got some 230 branches in northern India.