The city of Thrissur in the Indian state of Kerala was originally known as Thiru Siva Peroor. It is more commonly known by its anglicised name Trichur. It is the fifth largest city in Kerala as well as the third largest urban agglomeration in the state. The city functions as the headquarter of the Thrissur District. The city of Thrissur has developed around a 65-acre hillock known as the Thekkinkadu Maidan which houses the famous Vadakkumnathan temple. Thrissur used to be the capital of the Kingdom of Cochin in olden days. Thrissur is known for its cultural, spiritual and religious leanings throughout history and hence often referred to as the Cultural Capital of Kerala. Thrissur a major financial and commercial hub of the state, dotted with thriving Malayali entrepreneurs. The city is known for its financial capabilities which predominantly fuels the economy. Thrissur has the headquarters and offices of almost all the banks registered under RBI, thus earning it the nickname of the "Banking town." Thrissur is also gradually emerging as the largest center for Ayurvedic drug manufacturing industry with more than 150 manufacturing units within the city. Modern retailing has also become a big business and revenue earner in Thrissur. Jewelry and textile retailing occupy a major part of Thrissurs retailing business. Famous jewelry groups like Kalyan Group, Joyalukkas, Jos Alukka & Sons, etc. have their bases in the city and provide employment opportunities to a lot of residents.
The government of India owns the Canara Bank as one of the largest and oldest public sector banks. The headquarter of the bank is in Bengaluru. It had a network of 6639 branches and more than 10600 ATMs all over India, as of 30 October 2017. The bank also has offices outside India in Hong Kong, Moscow, Shanghai, Doha, London,Bahrain, Dubai, Tanzania,South Africa, and New York. On 1 July 1906, the Canara Hindu Permanent Fund in Mangalore, India, was initiated by Ammembal Subba Rao Pai. The fund name was changed to Canara Bank Limited in 1910 when it was incorporated. In 1958, Canara Bank was permitted by the Reserve Bank of India to acquire G. Raghumathmul Bank of Hyderabad. G. Raghumathmul Bank had five branches at the time of the acquisition. The merger took effect in 1961. Canara Bank acquired Trivandrum Permanent Bank, later in 1961. Along with 13 other prominent commercial banks of India, on 19 July 1969, the Government of India nationalized Canara Bank. Canara Bank inaugurated its 1000th branch in 1976. In 1985, Canara Bank acquired Lakshmi Commercial Bank in a rescue. Due to these acquisitions, Canara Bank got some 230 branches in northern India.