sri Ganganagar, referred to as SGNR in short, is a planned city in the Indian state of Rajasthan. It is the northern-most city of the state, located near the state border between Rajasthan and Punjab as well as the international border between India and Pakistan. It functions as the administrative headquarter of the eponymous district. The city is named after Maharaja Shri Ganga Singh Bahadur who was the Maharaja of Bikaner. Sri Ganganagar is often referred to as "the food basket of Rajasthan." SGNR is one the earliest well-planned modern cities of the country, believed to have been influenced by the town planning of Paris. The city is divided into blocks of the residential and commercial areas. The Sutlej enters Rajasthan near Sri Ganganagar. The city is situated on the Thar Desert and most of its flora and fauna survives on irrigation canals. Owing to its location, the city experiences extreme weather conditions - summer temperature can go up to 50 degrees and winters might be below zero degrees. The economy of Sri Ganganagar is based on agriculture. The desert town has been converted into a green city which supports the cultivation of wheat, mustard and cotton. Crops are guar, bajra, sugar cane and grams are also grown in this area. Farmers have recently started focusing on horticultural products too. The industries that have developed in the area are based on the agricultural produce. There are quite a few factories working on cotton ginning, pressing and spinning. Rice and sugar mills are also popular in the area.
The government of India owns the Canara Bank as one of the largest and oldest public sector banks. The headquarter of the bank is in Bengaluru. It had a network of 6639 branches and more than 10600 ATMs all over India, as of 30 October 2017. The bank also has offices outside India in Hong Kong, Moscow, Shanghai, Doha, London,Bahrain, Dubai, Tanzania,South Africa, and New York. On 1 July 1906, the Canara Hindu Permanent Fund in Mangalore, India, was initiated by Ammembal Subba Rao Pai. The fund name was changed to Canara Bank Limited in 1910 when it was incorporated. In 1958, Canara Bank was permitted by the Reserve Bank of India to acquire G. Raghumathmul Bank of Hyderabad. G. Raghumathmul Bank had five branches at the time of the acquisition. The merger took effect in 1961. Canara Bank acquired Trivandrum Permanent Bank, later in 1961. Along with 13 other prominent commercial banks of India, on 19 July 1969, the Government of India nationalized Canara Bank. Canara Bank inaugurated its 1000th branch in 1976. In 1985, Canara Bank acquired Lakshmi Commercial Bank in a rescue. Due to these acquisitions, Canara Bank got some 230 branches in northern India.