The Indian city of Sirsa is also a municipal council in the eponymous district in Haryana. Sirsa lies in the westernmost region of the state, bordering Punjab and Rajasthan. The history of Sirsa dates back to the time of the Mahabharata. River Sarasvati used to flow through this area at one point in time. Sirsas ancient name was Sairishaka. Many believe that the name got modified over time and eventually became "Sirsa." Another popular belief attributes the derivation of name to the abundance of the Siris (Benth) trees in the surrounding area. Sirsa is one of Indias 250 backward districts and the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme is currently supporting the city with funds. The city has an air base of the Indian Air Force called sirsa Air Force Station.
The government of India owns the Canara Bank as one of the largest and oldest public sector banks. The headquarter of the bank is in Bengaluru. It had a network of 6639 branches and more than 10600 ATMs all over India, as of 30 October 2017. The bank also has offices outside India in Hong Kong, Moscow, Shanghai, Doha, London,Bahrain, Dubai, Tanzania,South Africa, and New York. On 1 July 1906, the Canara Hindu Permanent Fund in Mangalore, India, was initiated by Ammembal Subba Rao Pai. The fund name was changed to Canara Bank Limited in 1910 when it was incorporated. In 1958, Canara Bank was permitted by the Reserve Bank of India to acquire G. Raghumathmul Bank of Hyderabad. G. Raghumathmul Bank had five branches at the time of the acquisition. The merger took effect in 1961. Canara Bank acquired Trivandrum Permanent Bank, later in 1961. Along with 13 other prominent commercial banks of India, on 19 July 1969, the Government of India nationalized Canara Bank. Canara Bank inaugurated its 1000th branch in 1976. In 1985, Canara Bank acquired Lakshmi Commercial Bank in a rescue. Due to these acquisitions, Canara Bank got some 230 branches in northern India.