serampore is a famous historical town in the Indian state of West Bengal. While Serampore is the British spelling, the name of this town is spelled in different ways such as Srirampur, Shreerampore, Shrirampur, etc. The town is located in the Hooghly district and it functions as the headquarter of the Srirampore subdivision. The town is covered by the Kolkata Metropolitan Development Authority. Serampore is a pre-colonial town, situated on the west bank of River Hooghly. It was under the Danish rule from 1755 to 1845 and was known as Frederiknagore during the Danish dominance. This old city has stood the test of time and witnessed many social changes such as the rise and fall of feudalism, the advent of the Danes, the Bengal Renaissance during the British governance and subsequent industrial development in the post-independent era. Serampore has now become a satellite town of Kolkata and is undergoing rapid urbanization. There are many pristine educational institutions at Serampore - the Serampore College, Government College of Engineering and Textile Technology, Chatra Nandalal Institution are a few to name. The Mahesh area in Serampore is well-known for its yearly "Rath-Yatra" (Chariot ceremony in honor of God Jagannath) when thousands of devotees from all over the state flock to this town to witness the grand ceremony. The city of Serampore is very well connected to the rest of the state via railway and road.
The government of India owns the Canara Bank as one of the largest and oldest public sector banks. The headquarter of the bank is in Bengaluru. It had a network of 6639 branches and more than 10600 ATMs all over India, as of 30 October 2017. The bank also has offices outside India in Hong Kong, Moscow, Shanghai, Doha, London,Bahrain, Dubai, Tanzania,South Africa, and New York. On 1 July 1906, the Canara Hindu Permanent Fund in Mangalore, India, was initiated by Ammembal Subba Rao Pai. The fund name was changed to Canara Bank Limited in 1910 when it was incorporated. In 1958, Canara Bank was permitted by the Reserve Bank of India to acquire G. Raghumathmul Bank of Hyderabad. G. Raghumathmul Bank had five branches at the time of the acquisition. The merger took effect in 1961. Canara Bank acquired Trivandrum Permanent Bank, later in 1961. Along with 13 other prominent commercial banks of India, on 19 July 1969, the Government of India nationalized Canara Bank. Canara Bank inaugurated its 1000th branch in 1976. In 1985, Canara Bank acquired Lakshmi Commercial Bank in a rescue. Due to these acquisitions, Canara Bank got some 230 branches in northern India.