saharsa is located in the Saharsa district of Bihar, near the banks of the Kosi River. The city functions as the administrative headquarter of the Saharsa district in the Mithila region of the state. It is also the capital and divisional headquarter of the Kosi Division that includes three districts. The name Saharsa is believed to have a reference to the Sahars Assembly Constituency, that consists of this city and its neighboring areas. The name originates from saharsha which means laden with joy in Sanskrit. Many residents of Saharsa speak in Maithili. Hindi and Urdu are also widely understood and spoken. The Bagmati and Kosi rivers, along with their tributaries ensure that the area is rich in the alluvial soil which supports cultivation. The main food crop grown here is paddy and the main cash crop is makhana. Bamboo and Teak trees are also largely grown, apart from mango, litchi, mustard, corn, wheat and sugarcane. There are many reputed educational institutes in Saharsa and it has a good network of roads and railway that connect the city to all the nearby areas.
The government of India owns the Canara Bank as one of the largest and oldest public sector banks. The headquarter of the bank is in Bengaluru. It had a network of 6639 branches and more than 10600 ATMs all over India, as of 30 October 2017. The bank also has offices outside India in Hong Kong, Moscow, Shanghai, Doha, London,Bahrain, Dubai, Tanzania,South Africa, and New York. On 1 July 1906, the Canara Hindu Permanent Fund in Mangalore, India, was initiated by Ammembal Subba Rao Pai. The fund name was changed to Canara Bank Limited in 1910 when it was incorporated. In 1958, Canara Bank was permitted by the Reserve Bank of India to acquire G. Raghumathmul Bank of Hyderabad. G. Raghumathmul Bank had five branches at the time of the acquisition. The merger took effect in 1961. Canara Bank acquired Trivandrum Permanent Bank, later in 1961. Along with 13 other prominent commercial banks of India, on 19 July 1969, the Government of India nationalized Canara Bank. Canara Bank inaugurated its 1000th branch in 1976. In 1985, Canara Bank acquired Lakshmi Commercial Bank in a rescue. Due to these acquisitions, Canara Bank got some 230 branches in northern India.