The city of Purnia in the Indian state of Bihar also functions as the administrative headquarters of both the Purnia district and the Purnia division. It is located in the Kosi- Seemanchal area of Bihar. Purnia hosts several military bases such as Indian Air Force, Indian Army, three branches of Indias Central Armed Police Forces, the Border Security Force, the Sashastra Seema Bal and the Indo-Tibetan Border Police. The name of the city may have originated from the Sanskrit word Purna?Aranya, which means complete jungle. Purnia has a large forest cover and is located in the Mithila region of the state. The city lies on the alluvial tract of the Gangetic Plain and numerous rivers flow through the area that are mostly the tributaries of River Koshi. The city experience a favorable climate and is often referred to as "Mini Darjeeling." There are around 3 lakh residents in Purnia. Maithili, Angika, Hindi, Urdu, Bengali as well as English are the commonly spoken languages in this area. Purnia has an agricultural economy. The fertile soil supports paddy cultivation. Crops like potatoes, wheat, khesari, chickpeas, lentils, barley, sugarcane, tobacco, chili peppers, maize, makhana, mung beans and jute are also cultivated in the area. There are several poultries and fisheries in Purnia. This rapidly developing city is equipped with all modern amenities and many educational institutions.
The government of India owns the Canara Bank as one of the largest and oldest public sector banks. The headquarter of the bank is in Bengaluru. It had a network of 6639 branches and more than 10600 ATMs all over India, as of 30 October 2017. The bank also has offices outside India in Hong Kong, Moscow, Shanghai, Doha, London,Bahrain, Dubai, Tanzania,South Africa, and New York. On 1 July 1906, the Canara Hindu Permanent Fund in Mangalore, India, was initiated by Ammembal Subba Rao Pai. The fund name was changed to Canara Bank Limited in 1910 when it was incorporated. In 1958, Canara Bank was permitted by the Reserve Bank of India to acquire G. Raghumathmul Bank of Hyderabad. G. Raghumathmul Bank had five branches at the time of the acquisition. The merger took effect in 1961. Canara Bank acquired Trivandrum Permanent Bank, later in 1961. Along with 13 other prominent commercial banks of India, on 19 July 1969, the Government of India nationalized Canara Bank. Canara Bank inaugurated its 1000th branch in 1976. In 1985, Canara Bank acquired Lakshmi Commercial Bank in a rescue. Due to these acquisitions, Canara Bank got some 230 branches in northern India.