Pondicherry is the capital the largest city of the Indian Union Territory of Puducherry. It is affectionately referred to as Pondy and "Pdy" in short. Its official name has become Puducherry since 2006, which means new town in Tamil. The city is divided into 42 wards for effective governance. The 1st to 10th wards are located in the north of the city. The Boulevard town has Wards 11?19. The remaining wards are situated in the southwest of the downtown. Pondicherry has been a colony of the Dutch, Portuguese, British and French. However, the French East India Company dominated over the area for a long time and the city is widely known as a French settlement. The economy of Pondicherry is dependent upon the cultivation of crops such as rice, pulses, coconuts, sugarcane and cotton. Being a seaside city, it is also known for its fisheries and seafood. Pondicherry is a popular tourist destination. The city has numerous colonial buildings, churches and temples, within the systematically planned French style avenues, that still retain a colonial aura and attract tourists. The Promenade Beach and Auroville make the city all the more famous. Students from all over the country enroll themselves at the reputed institutions such as the French Institute of Pondicherry and the Pondicherry University.
The government of India owns the Canara Bank as one of the largest and oldest public sector banks. The headquarter of the bank is in Bengaluru. It had a network of 6639 branches and more than 10600 ATMs all over India, as of 30 October 2017. The bank also has offices outside India in Hong Kong, Moscow, Shanghai, Doha, London,Bahrain, Dubai, Tanzania,South Africa, and New York. On 1 July 1906, the Canara Hindu Permanent Fund in Mangalore, India, was initiated by Ammembal Subba Rao Pai. The fund name was changed to Canara Bank Limited in 1910 when it was incorporated. In 1958, Canara Bank was permitted by the Reserve Bank of India to acquire G. Raghumathmul Bank of Hyderabad. G. Raghumathmul Bank had five branches at the time of the acquisition. The merger took effect in 1961. Canara Bank acquired Trivandrum Permanent Bank, later in 1961. Along with 13 other prominent commercial banks of India, on 19 July 1969, the Government of India nationalized Canara Bank. Canara Bank inaugurated its 1000th branch in 1976. In 1985, Canara Bank acquired Lakshmi Commercial Bank in a rescue. Due to these acquisitions, Canara Bank got some 230 branches in northern India.