Pimpri-Chinchwad, the twin city of Pune, is an industrial city in the Indian state of Maharashtra. The city witnessed rapid industrialization in the 1960s which developed the city into an industrial zone. Hindustan Antibiotics Limited or HAL, a public sector drug manufacturing company run by the Indian government, was the first one to set up at Pimpri-Chinchwad in 1954, giving a great start to the industrial development of the city. This city is often referred to as the "Detroit of the East" owing to its large number of industrial units that have crossed 4000 in number. This city has factories of TATA Motors, Mahindra, Bajaj Auto and many more. Various other automobile companies have set up their manufacturing units in Pimpri-Chinchwad. There are many other small as well as large-scale companies and heavy industries in the area that have opened up innumerable job opportunities in this city. The place that was earlier home to Marathi families found a lot of multi-ethnic and multi-lingual people from all over the country migrating to Pimpri-Chinchwad in search of employment. Schools, colleges, healthcare and entertainment facilities have opened up to support the lifestyle of the citys growing population. The city is well connected to Pune and other neighboring suburbs and is eagerly awaiting the Pune-Pimpri-Chinchwad Metro services expected to be operational in 2021.
The government of India owns the Canara Bank as one of the largest and oldest public sector banks. The headquarter of the bank is in Bengaluru. It had a network of 6639 branches and more than 10600 ATMs all over India, as of 30 October 2017. The bank also has offices outside India in Hong Kong, Moscow, Shanghai, Doha, London,Bahrain, Dubai, Tanzania,South Africa, and New York. On 1 July 1906, the Canara Hindu Permanent Fund in Mangalore, India, was initiated by Ammembal Subba Rao Pai. The fund name was changed to Canara Bank Limited in 1910 when it was incorporated. In 1958, Canara Bank was permitted by the Reserve Bank of India to acquire G. Raghumathmul Bank of Hyderabad. G. Raghumathmul Bank had five branches at the time of the acquisition. The merger took effect in 1961. Canara Bank acquired Trivandrum Permanent Bank, later in 1961. Along with 13 other prominent commercial banks of India, on 19 July 1969, the Government of India nationalized Canara Bank. Canara Bank inaugurated its 1000th branch in 1976. In 1985, Canara Bank acquired Lakshmi Commercial Bank in a rescue. Due to these acquisitions, Canara Bank got some 230 branches in northern India.