Orai is located in the Jalaun district of Uttar Pradesh. This city functions as the district headquarters of the Jalaun district in the Jhansi division of the state. The NH-27 passes through Orai, which is midway between Jhansi and Kanpur. Orai is believed to have been named after a saint - Rishi Uddalak who is worshipped in the area. Orai was ruled by the Rajputs, the Chandels, the Mughals, the Marathas and many other regional rulers. Orai became a scene of much violence during the Great Revolt of 1857. The residents of the area who were in the 53rd Native Infantry deserted their officers and rebelled against them as soon as they came to know of the rising in Kanpur. Orai witnessed major changes after 1990 when industries were introduced to the area. HUL, Sun India Pharmacy and several other companies opened their units in and around Orai. The city was further developed as schools and colleges were established, roads were built and the infrastructure was improved. A predominantly dry area, Orai is watered by the Bethwa Canal that supports the production of grain, oil-seeds, cotton and ghee which are exported. The city has more than 2 lakh residents and they speak in Hindi.
The government of India owns the Canara Bank as one of the largest and oldest public sector banks. The headquarter of the bank is in Bengaluru. It had a network of 6639 branches and more than 10600 ATMs all over India, as of 30 October 2017. The bank also has offices outside India in Hong Kong, Moscow, Shanghai, Doha, London,Bahrain, Dubai, Tanzania,South Africa, and New York. On 1 July 1906, the Canara Hindu Permanent Fund in Mangalore, India, was initiated by Ammembal Subba Rao Pai. The fund name was changed to Canara Bank Limited in 1910 when it was incorporated. In 1958, Canara Bank was permitted by the Reserve Bank of India to acquire G. Raghumathmul Bank of Hyderabad. G. Raghumathmul Bank had five branches at the time of the acquisition. The merger took effect in 1961. Canara Bank acquired Trivandrum Permanent Bank, later in 1961. Along with 13 other prominent commercial banks of India, on 19 July 1969, the Government of India nationalized Canara Bank. Canara Bank inaugurated its 1000th branch in 1976. In 1985, Canara Bank acquired Lakshmi Commercial Bank in a rescue. Due to these acquisitions, Canara Bank got some 230 branches in northern India.