The city of Nandyal is situated in the Kurnool district of Andhra Pradesh. It functions as a municipality as well as the headquarter of the Nandyal Mandal in the Nandyal revenue division. There are over 2 lakh residents in this city and they speak in Telugu. The City was earlier known as Nandalluru. It receives its name from Nandi, the vehicle or "vahana" of Lord Shiva. The word Aalaya means house or abode in Sanskrit. The city of Nandyal is surrounded by nine Nandis. Hence, it was named as Nandi Aalaya. Over the time, the name got modified to Nandyala or Nandyal, which is the present name of the city. Nandyal is surrounded by nine temples of Nandi, the bull. These bull temples are collectively known as the Nava Nandi. The largest Nandi idol in the city is in Sri Yaganti Uma Maheswara Temple. The Archaeological Survey of India claims that the rock grows at a rate of 1 inch in 20 years. Nandyal is a major hub of industries as well as agriculture. The city is rich in natural resources like marble. Additionally, there are numerous rice mills and oil mills in the area apart from a few industries that produce milk, soft drinks, sugar, PVC pipes, etc. A few famous companies like Milk Dairy, Nandi Polymers, S. P. Y. Agro and Nandi Steels have set up their units in the city.
The government of India owns the Canara Bank as one of the largest and oldest public sector banks. The headquarter of the bank is in Bengaluru. It had a network of 6639 branches and more than 10600 ATMs all over India, as of 30 October 2017. The bank also has offices outside India in Hong Kong, Moscow, Shanghai, Doha, London,Bahrain, Dubai, Tanzania,South Africa, and New York. On 1 July 1906, the Canara Hindu Permanent Fund in Mangalore, India, was initiated by Ammembal Subba Rao Pai. The fund name was changed to Canara Bank Limited in 1910 when it was incorporated. In 1958, Canara Bank was permitted by the Reserve Bank of India to acquire G. Raghumathmul Bank of Hyderabad. G. Raghumathmul Bank had five branches at the time of the acquisition. The merger took effect in 1961. Canara Bank acquired Trivandrum Permanent Bank, later in 1961. Along with 13 other prominent commercial banks of India, on 19 July 1969, the Government of India nationalized Canara Bank. Canara Bank inaugurated its 1000th branch in 1976. In 1985, Canara Bank acquired Lakshmi Commercial Bank in a rescue. Due to these acquisitions, Canara Bank got some 230 branches in northern India.