Naihati is a riverside town in the Indian state of West Bengal. It is situated in the Barrackpore subdivision of the North 24 Parganas district. Naihati municipality, established in 1869, is one of the oldest in the country. Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay, who wrote Indias national song Vande Mataram, was born in Naihati. Naihati had a vibrant industrial area. The jute mills along the bank of the Hooghly River were thriving and prosperous at a time, which attracted a lot of immigrants from the neighboring state of Bihar and Odisha. Hence, a large portion of Naihatis 2 lakh residents are immigrants who have settled down in shanty towns around the mill area. The Jenson & Nicholson factory was the first of its kind to be set up at Naihati. It produces paints, varnishes, pigments and allied products. The Gouripore Jute Mill and the Nuddea Jute Mills were leading providers of employment in Naihati. Naihati is also notable for fish farming - various genus of fish like Katla, Koi, Magur, Pabda, Rohu, etc. are reared in several fisheries in the area. Naihati railway station is also an important railway junction on the Indian Railways network. Durga Puja and Kali Puja are celebrated at Naihati with much pomp and show.
The government of India owns the Canara Bank as one of the largest and oldest public sector banks. The headquarter of the bank is in Bengaluru. It had a network of 6639 branches and more than 10600 ATMs all over India, as of 30 October 2017. The bank also has offices outside India in Hong Kong, Moscow, Shanghai, Doha, London,Bahrain, Dubai, Tanzania,South Africa, and New York. On 1 July 1906, the Canara Hindu Permanent Fund in Mangalore, India, was initiated by Ammembal Subba Rao Pai. The fund name was changed to Canara Bank Limited in 1910 when it was incorporated. In 1958, Canara Bank was permitted by the Reserve Bank of India to acquire G. Raghumathmul Bank of Hyderabad. G. Raghumathmul Bank had five branches at the time of the acquisition. The merger took effect in 1961. Canara Bank acquired Trivandrum Permanent Bank, later in 1961. Along with 13 other prominent commercial banks of India, on 19 July 1969, the Government of India nationalized Canara Bank. Canara Bank inaugurated its 1000th branch in 1976. In 1985, Canara Bank acquired Lakshmi Commercial Bank in a rescue. Due to these acquisitions, Canara Bank got some 230 branches in northern India.