The growing city of Khammam is located in the district of the same name in the Indian state of Telangana. It also functions as the headquarters of the Khammam district and the Khammam mandal. The citys was once called "Kammam mettu." Munneru, a tributary of River Krishna, flows through this city. Khammam receives much higher annual rainfall than the rest of the state and hence the city has been flooded a few times recently. The city is governed by Khammam Municipal Corporation. Administratively, the city is divided into 41 election wards and 11 revenue wards. There are several colleges in Khammam that offer courses in pharmacy such as Khammam college Of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Browns College Of Pharmacy, etc. The Khammam Fort was constructed in 950 AD by the Kakatiya Dynasty. The fort is perched on a hillock overlooking the city and serves as a major tourist attraction. The Lakaram Lake is also another major tourist attraction. Apart from these, there are quite a few other places in and around the city that are appealing to tourists. Ballepalli, Bhadrachalam, Parnasala, Nelakondapalli are a few among them.
The government of India owns the Canara Bank as one of the largest and oldest public sector banks. The headquarter of the bank is in Bengaluru. It had a network of 6639 branches and more than 10600 ATMs all over India, as of 30 October 2017. The bank also has offices outside India in Hong Kong, Moscow, Shanghai, Doha, London,Bahrain, Dubai, Tanzania,South Africa, and New York. On 1 July 1906, the Canara Hindu Permanent Fund in Mangalore, India, was initiated by Ammembal Subba Rao Pai. The fund name was changed to Canara Bank Limited in 1910 when it was incorporated. In 1958, Canara Bank was permitted by the Reserve Bank of India to acquire G. Raghumathmul Bank of Hyderabad. G. Raghumathmul Bank had five branches at the time of the acquisition. The merger took effect in 1961. Canara Bank acquired Trivandrum Permanent Bank, later in 1961. Along with 13 other prominent commercial banks of India, on 19 July 1969, the Government of India nationalized Canara Bank. Canara Bank inaugurated its 1000th branch in 1976. In 1985, Canara Bank acquired Lakshmi Commercial Bank in a rescue. Due to these acquisitions, Canara Bank got some 230 branches in northern India.