Katihar is situated in the eastern regions of the Indian state of Bihar. It functions as the regional headquarter of the Katihar district. It is known all over the eastern part of India for being a highly strategic railway junction. This city belonged to the Purnia district earlier. It is a part of the Mithila region. Katihar has a widespread railway network which connects the city to every other part of the country. It is known for its connectivity to the nooks and corners of the North East via railway and hence it is sometimes called "The Gateway of North-East." The city is located in the interior of Bihar and does not have a good network of roads. Katihar has many renowned educational institutions. Schools like Kendriya Vidyalaya, Ramakrishna Mission and Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya have their branches in the city. Quite a few well-known colleges in Katihar offer courses in medical sciences, technology. law and other disciplines. The city has a special inclination towards Movies and Sports. There are many movie theatres and open grounds to support these passions of the residents. The railway junction, which is connected to six different lines, is the main revenue generator for this city. Katihar is also a commercial city with plenty of shops, showrooms and restaurants.
The government of India owns the Canara Bank as one of the largest and oldest public sector banks. The headquarter of the bank is in Bengaluru. It had a network of 6639 branches and more than 10600 ATMs all over India, as of 30 October 2017. The bank also has offices outside India in Hong Kong, Moscow, Shanghai, Doha, London,Bahrain, Dubai, Tanzania,South Africa, and New York. On 1 July 1906, the Canara Hindu Permanent Fund in Mangalore, India, was initiated by Ammembal Subba Rao Pai. The fund name was changed to Canara Bank Limited in 1910 when it was incorporated. In 1958, Canara Bank was permitted by the Reserve Bank of India to acquire G. Raghumathmul Bank of Hyderabad. G. Raghumathmul Bank had five branches at the time of the acquisition. The merger took effect in 1961. Canara Bank acquired Trivandrum Permanent Bank, later in 1961. Along with 13 other prominent commercial banks of India, on 19 July 1969, the Government of India nationalized Canara Bank. Canara Bank inaugurated its 1000th branch in 1976. In 1985, Canara Bank acquired Lakshmi Commercial Bank in a rescue. Due to these acquisitions, Canara Bank got some 230 branches in northern India.