Karaikudi is situated in the Sivaganga district of Tamil Nadu. It is a greater municipality and the states 20th largest urban agglomeration. It is part of the Chettinad area and has been declared a heritage town by the State Government of Tamil Nadu. Karaikudi is known for its palatial houses that are built with limestone called Karai Veedu. Karaikudi has derived its name from the thorny plant called Karai. It has been referred to in the ancient literature as Kareekudi. The name gradually got modified and modernized into Karaikudi. It was established in the 19th century. The oldest known structure in the area is the Koppudaiya Nayagi Amman Temple. The town of Karaikudi is home to the Nagarathars and the Chettiars who form the business community, the financiers and the trade facilitators. Karaikudi is a rapidly developing urban center. UNESCO has proposed to set up a Chettinad Heritage Museum in the area, recognizing the unique architectural style of the region. Karaikudi is known for its palm leaf baskets woven by the women, known as Chettinad Kottan. Chettinadu Kandangi sarees of Karaikudi are widely popular in the region. The handicraft industry in Karaikudi is indeed a thriving business. Karaikudi is also known for its delectable cuisine. There are many prominent temples in the area that attract tourists. Kundrakudi Shanmuganathan Temple, Ariyakudi Thiruvengamudayan Temple, Pillayarpatti Karpagavinayagar temple, Thirumayam Permual Temple, Kannadasan Mandapam, Kamban Manimandapam, Chettinad Raja Palace and Thousand windows house are the visitor attractions in Karaikudi
The government of India owns the Canara Bank as one of the largest and oldest public sector banks. The headquarter of the bank is in Bengaluru. It had a network of 6639 branches and more than 10600 ATMs all over India, as of 30 October 2017. The bank also has offices outside India in Hong Kong, Moscow, Shanghai, Doha, London,Bahrain, Dubai, Tanzania,South Africa, and New York. On 1 July 1906, the Canara Hindu Permanent Fund in Mangalore, India, was initiated by Ammembal Subba Rao Pai. The fund name was changed to Canara Bank Limited in 1910 when it was incorporated. In 1958, Canara Bank was permitted by the Reserve Bank of India to acquire G. Raghumathmul Bank of Hyderabad. G. Raghumathmul Bank had five branches at the time of the acquisition. The merger took effect in 1961. Canara Bank acquired Trivandrum Permanent Bank, later in 1961. Along with 13 other prominent commercial banks of India, on 19 July 1969, the Government of India nationalized Canara Bank. Canara Bank inaugurated its 1000th branch in 1976. In 1985, Canara Bank acquired Lakshmi Commercial Bank in a rescue. Due to these acquisitions, Canara Bank got some 230 branches in northern India.