The twin cities of Kalyan and Dombivli were joined and converted into the Kalyan-Dombivli municipal corporation in 1982 to improve the administration of the twin townships. The headquarter of this city is situated in Kalyan. Kalyan and Dombivli are both cities in the Thane District of Konkan division in Maharashtra state. The city comprises a majority of Hindu residents who speak mostly in Marathi. The weather in this city follows the exact trends as that of Mumbai and is known to experience the notorious Mumbai rains. The twin city of Kalyan-Dombivli had been under the reigns of the Mughal, the Portuguese as well as the British. The celebrated Maratha heroes, held in high esteem by the residents, were the only valiant defense against these foreign invasions. The city of Kalyan used to be surrounded by a fort wall which was constructed during the Mughal age and further improved by the Maratha rulers. It was called the Durgadi Fort. History claims that a small wooden temple dedicated to Durgadevi was behind the mosque inside this fort wall. However, this historical relic was dismantled by the British and the stones were used to build the piers of Thane and Kalyan. The idol in the temple was also stolen. Only the remnants of the north-west gate of this fort still remain to remind the people of the historic past.
The government of India owns the Canara Bank as one of the largest and oldest public sector banks. The headquarter of the bank is in Bengaluru. It had a network of 6639 branches and more than 10600 ATMs all over India, as of 30 October 2017. The bank also has offices outside India in Hong Kong, Moscow, Shanghai, Doha, London,Bahrain, Dubai, Tanzania,South Africa, and New York. On 1 July 1906, the Canara Hindu Permanent Fund in Mangalore, India, was initiated by Ammembal Subba Rao Pai. The fund name was changed to Canara Bank Limited in 1910 when it was incorporated. In 1958, Canara Bank was permitted by the Reserve Bank of India to acquire G. Raghumathmul Bank of Hyderabad. G. Raghumathmul Bank had five branches at the time of the acquisition. The merger took effect in 1961. Canara Bank acquired Trivandrum Permanent Bank, later in 1961. Along with 13 other prominent commercial banks of India, on 19 July 1969, the Government of India nationalized Canara Bank. Canara Bank inaugurated its 1000th branch in 1976. In 1985, Canara Bank acquired Lakshmi Commercial Bank in a rescue. Due to these acquisitions, Canara Bank got some 230 branches in northern India.