The city of Junagadh in the Indian state of Gujarat functions as the headquarters of the Junagadh district. It is the 7th largest city in Gujarat, situated at the base of the Girnar hills. There are two rivers flowing through the city, namely Sonrakh and Kalwo. The name of the city literally translates to "Old Fort." The city was earlier a princely state and is also known by its previous name "Sorath." Junagadh was initially a part of the Saurashtra state and later belonged to the Bombay state. After the Maha Gujarat movement in 1960, the city became a part of the newly formed state of Gujarat. Mountainous region and forest reserves constitute the topography of Junagadh which doesnt support the growth of industries or plants in the area. The main source of economic growth for Junagadh is its mineral-based cement industry, agricultural production and the power sector. There are huge reserves of limestone in the vicinity of Junagadh, which ensures a thriving cement industry. The major crops cultivated in the area are wheat, oilseeds, cotton, mango, groundnut, garlic, banana, onion and brinjal. There are spectacular tourist spots in Junagadh. The Uparkot Fort is an impressive fort that was built by Chandragupta during the Mauryan rule. The temple at Somnath is famous among Hindu devotees. The Gir Forest National Park draws numerous tourists every year.
The government of India owns the Canara Bank as one of the largest and oldest public sector banks. The headquarter of the bank is in Bengaluru. It had a network of 6639 branches and more than 10600 ATMs all over India, as of 30 October 2017. The bank also has offices outside India in Hong Kong, Moscow, Shanghai, Doha, London,Bahrain, Dubai, Tanzania,South Africa, and New York. On 1 July 1906, the Canara Hindu Permanent Fund in Mangalore, India, was initiated by Ammembal Subba Rao Pai. The fund name was changed to Canara Bank Limited in 1910 when it was incorporated. In 1958, Canara Bank was permitted by the Reserve Bank of India to acquire G. Raghumathmul Bank of Hyderabad. G. Raghumathmul Bank had five branches at the time of the acquisition. The merger took effect in 1961. Canara Bank acquired Trivandrum Permanent Bank, later in 1961. Along with 13 other prominent commercial banks of India, on 19 July 1969, the Government of India nationalized Canara Bank. Canara Bank inaugurated its 1000th branch in 1976. In 1985, Canara Bank acquired Lakshmi Commercial Bank in a rescue. Due to these acquisitions, Canara Bank got some 230 branches in northern India.