The two neighboring cities of Hubli (or Hubballi in the local language) and Dharwad in the South Indian state of Karnataka were merged in 1961 to form the twin city of Hubli-Dharwad. The name "Hubballi" literally translates to "flowering creeper" in Kannada. The word "Dharwad" refers to a place of rest during long travel or a small habitation. While Hubli acts as the commercial center and business hub, Dharwad situated around 20 kilometers away is the administrative headquarter of the twin city. This city is the second largest in the state after the capital city of Bangalore. As history reveals, the area had been ruled by the famous Vijayanagara dynasty and later by the Mughals, the Nawabs, the Marathas as well as the Peshwas. Hubli, being the commercial hub, houses numerous of small and medium industries. The area is known for mining manganese ore and granite as well as for the agricultural production of cotton, groundnut and oilseeds. The twin cities are also adept at manufacture of textiles from the cultivated cotton. The green and scenic city of Dharwad, apart from housing the citys administrative departments, is also a seat of learning. Prestigious and renowned educational institutions like Karnataka Institute of Medical Sciences (KIMS), Karnataka State Law University, The District Institute of Education and Training, University of Agricultural Sciences, etc. An IIT has also been recently established at Dharwad.
The government of India owns the Canara Bank as one of the largest and oldest public sector banks. The headquarter of the bank is in Bengaluru. It had a network of 6639 branches and more than 10600 ATMs all over India, as of 30 October 2017. The bank also has offices outside India in Hong Kong, Moscow, Shanghai, Doha, London,Bahrain, Dubai, Tanzania,South Africa, and New York. On 1 July 1906, the Canara Hindu Permanent Fund in Mangalore, India, was initiated by Ammembal Subba Rao Pai. The fund name was changed to Canara Bank Limited in 1910 when it was incorporated. In 1958, Canara Bank was permitted by the Reserve Bank of India to acquire G. Raghumathmul Bank of Hyderabad. G. Raghumathmul Bank had five branches at the time of the acquisition. The merger took effect in 1961. Canara Bank acquired Trivandrum Permanent Bank, later in 1961. Along with 13 other prominent commercial banks of India, on 19 July 1969, the Government of India nationalized Canara Bank. Canara Bank inaugurated its 1000th branch in 1976. In 1985, Canara Bank acquired Lakshmi Commercial Bank in a rescue. Due to these acquisitions, Canara Bank got some 230 branches in northern India.