Gulbarga, also known as by its official name Kalaburagi, is an urban agglomeration situated in the southern Indian state of Karnataka. Standing on the banks the Krishna and Bhima rivers, it is one of the most important cities in the state and also the administrative headquarters of Gulbarga District. The current administration of Gulbarga is carried out by representatives elected to service its 55 wards. The economy of Gulbarga is mainly dependent on agriculture. The place is known for the cultivation of Pigeon Peas and Toor Dal. Recently, upon the state governments initiatives, many industries have been set up in and around the city. Gulbarga has units to manufacture cement, textile, leather and chemicals. Gulbarga is the home to many educational institutions like the Karnataka State University, KBN institute of medical sciences and Gulbarga Institute of Medical Sciences. Gulbarga is well known as a tourist destination as well. There are many temples and forts in the area. Tourist spots such as the Bahmani fort, the Government Museum, the Holkonda fort, the Ferozabad Fort, the Sharanabasaveshwar Temple, Shri Sadguru Dattatreya Narasimha Saraswati, Shri Kshetra Ganagapur, Sri Hulakantheshwar Temple are frequented by tourists.
The government of India owns the Canara Bank as one of the largest and oldest public sector banks. The headquarter of the bank is in Bengaluru. It had a network of 6639 branches and more than 10600 ATMs all over India, as of 30 October 2017. The bank also has offices outside India in Hong Kong, Moscow, Shanghai, Doha, London,Bahrain, Dubai, Tanzania,South Africa, and New York. On 1 July 1906, the Canara Hindu Permanent Fund in Mangalore, India, was initiated by Ammembal Subba Rao Pai. The fund name was changed to Canara Bank Limited in 1910 when it was incorporated. In 1958, Canara Bank was permitted by the Reserve Bank of India to acquire G. Raghumathmul Bank of Hyderabad. G. Raghumathmul Bank had five branches at the time of the acquisition. The merger took effect in 1961. Canara Bank acquired Trivandrum Permanent Bank, later in 1961. Along with 13 other prominent commercial banks of India, on 19 July 1969, the Government of India nationalized Canara Bank. Canara Bank inaugurated its 1000th branch in 1976. In 1985, Canara Bank acquired Lakshmi Commercial Bank in a rescue. Due to these acquisitions, Canara Bank got some 230 branches in northern India.